Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yoga

Recently, I took some yoga classes. They were for beginers, I had no prior experience with it. It was taking. I took the course at a community college. Most of the stretches were entirely unfamiliar to me, but a few weren't. That was surprsinging. They ended up being basic stretches that we'd do for wrestling practice in high school. I suppose that isn't to be unexpected, but it was odd to see them as recognized yoga movements.
The instructor for the course seemed to be very much into yoga, and made references to having been in ashrams in the past. That indicates that they're very serious, and have been doing it for a while, I'd think. Yet the instructor was very friendly, she didn't push anyone into any positions, as I have heard they sometimes do, and insisted that everyone merely move up to the edge of being uncomfortable, but not to hurt themselves. She insisted that that would be extremely out of place in a yoga class, and seemed to be saying that other places will insist that you do this, but they are wrong.

One thing in particular I found intresting. I have heard about yoga being done to activate all sorts of whacky mystical "energies" (the term never sensibly defined). I can't say what the instructor beleived, but she did tell us to take notice of how you feel after moving into the positions. She explained that the sensations in the limbs and body were largely resulting from the movement of blood. Raise the arms above the body, and hold them there for a time, and the blood will, to a degree, drain out of it. Twist the torso, and the lymphatic fluid will be moved about. I'd assume that intersitial fluids would be worked around as you move into and out of position also.
Perhaps this is what is really meant by these activations of energies and chakras and whathaveyou. Yoga in general is considered very ancient. I'd expect that ancient man might've been curious about those senstations, and perhaps attributed some sort of meaning to them, and that that might explain part of why yoga becomes so important in many societies.
Ultimately, yoga seems as "nothing more" than the simply movement of the body, not at all dissimilar to physical exercise. Before hand, I had considered it as a different sort of activity, it seemed as something people approached as a mystic happening, heavy on the meditation. This course invovled mediation also, and clearly a short 8 session course can't tell you too much about any subject, let alone something with as long a history and varied a practice as yoga. I don't think that I understand it on any level of detail, but it was an intruiging experience and at least now it is de-mystified for me.

No comments: