Saturday, August 19, 2006

Procedural Corrections

After picking around 300 individuals of G. bulloides from my six sample sets, I was able to successfully clean them over at the Hofstra Lab. Dr. Farmer was very helpful during this process.
I only had the two seives that she had created, but I don't think I would've used more than that to clean them at once.
Procedure:
I brushed the samples into the seive, then marked down which seive correlated to which sample.
I placed the seives into a regular beaker that had enough methanol to fill to the half-mark of the seives.
I placed the beaker into the sonicator, and sonicated for 3 minutes.
After sonication, I removed the beaker and then the seives from the beaker quickly and placed them on a paper towel to dry. This took a few minutes.
I then carefully tapped out the seives onto fresh weighing paper.
I curled or folded the weighing paper and poured the forams into a numered jar, which was underlain by another peice of weighing paper in case of any spillage.
I then marked down which jar had which sample.
There were some problems. The first two samples I sonicated for 5 minutes, but that turned out to be too long, they became broken up. This made it difficult to remove them from the seive or get them off the weighing paper and into the jar. I had to use a brush to do this. I used a different brush for each one, but the first brush was the brush I had used to get them into the seives previous to cleaning. It seemed like some of the sample was lost because of the breakage. After those first two, I switched, upon the advice of Dr. Farmer, to a 3 minute sonication, and no more breakage occured. The samples easily fell out of the seives and poured off the weighing paper.
Breaking in itself shouldn't be a problem, the samples are going to be crushed, vapourized, and then, to further abuse them, that vapour gets scorched into soot and that soot is analyzed for the actual dating.
At one point, I neglected to record which sample was in what seive until after sonication had started. I am nearly certain that I remembered which was which, but there is a chance that, say, sample 3 is marked as "4". This should be corrected by the carbon 14 dating.

No comments: