Monday, June 30, 2008

Ramping up for Summer Program

Recently completed the AMS Online Ocean Studies Diversity Project Implementation Workshop. It was really interesting.

I've been seriously slacking on writing up a research paper. There's so many damned things that keep getting in my way. I need to get focused this week and crank it out.

Because after this week, the KCC Summer Grant will be in swing. Its a 500k$ grant this year. We have "Purchase Cards" or P-cards, which are Visa debit cards attached to the grant (but with pre-set limits). I recently reached my limit and have had to request that the limit be raised. The Principle Investigator (Dr. Mikalopas) approves, now the Grant Administration Officer has to, and then they have to inform the Research Foundation that they approve. Then it should take effect. The RF told me that it could be ready to go this week.

One of the more difficult aspects of this project that I am anticipating is organizing the students. We'd like for them to start each day off with some sort of common experience, and then segway into smaller groups. At the same time they're going to be pulled out, 6 at a time, to sail on the boat and do work there. This will happen two times each day. I think that we're just going to have to pull out 12 kids at a time, have 6 on the boat, and the other 6 on the ground engaged in an activity and waiting for the boat, as the second half of the day. This seems better than pulling out six kids of 24 in the middle of a class. We shall see.

No comments: